Saturday 25 February 2017

RSC 2016 finished top and a start on RSC 2017

Each month Angela gives a colour and worldwide lots of quilters start sewing their scraps in that colour. February's colour is teal/aqua. I wonder what next month's colour will be.

I finished the Bears Paws blocks and have started on some nine-patches in aqua/turquoise/teal




and in purple (January's colour):



Most effort this week, however, went into putting my blocks from last year's challenge together. I decided last week to add "frames" rather than sashing, and give the blocks a frame of in total 6" if you add left and right together: 4" on one side and 2" on the opposite side, or 3"on both sides.


Thus each block went from 14" square to 20.75" square. I changed the relative positions of the wide and narrow pieces in each block. I had intended to put those larger blocks together randomly, but was afraid the empty spaces would become too unevenly distributed. So began my planning headache! The only constant is in the corners; a two inch frame in the corner to help define the whole as a square and hopefully to prevent the appearance of sagging. (I wish that was always so easy!)


Now I have to think of a name. Hmm ... Rainbow Bears?, ... Multi-coloured Bears?, ... Bears in the Paint pot? Any ideas?

I'm linking up this week to: 
 SoScrappy                            http://celticthistlestitches.blogspot.nl/2017/02/a-boutis-liscious-finish-for-tgiff.html

Click on the buttons to see more from scraps and a lot of finishes.

Happy sewing

Marly

25 comments:

Karen said...

Very bright and cheerful quilt. Sorry I don't have a name suggestion.

Alison V. said...

This looks great! It also makes me think of grafitti for some reason -- Bear Grafitti? Electric Bears? Paws in the Paint? Normally I am good at quilt names but this one seems like a stumper!

Christine B said...

This is such a beautiful quilt and I love the layout.... it really accentuates the blocks and their colours. How about 'Polychromatic Paws' as the name? Enjoy your weekend! Christine x

LA Paylor said...

Bears in the paintbox

that's spectacular. I like how the black and white around the color leads you to the next block.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your 9 patches are so pretty with the variety of fabrics that you have! The bear paw quilt is looking great with its rainbow of colors, too! Bears in the Paint Pot sounds like a fun name. I'm terrible at naming quilts!

gayle said...

I love this quilt!
I thought of Skittles when I saw the bright colors, so "It's Not All Bears and Skittles"?

Pamela Arbour said...

Your quilt turned out to be very striking. I like how you set them in the grey. Congratulations on the finish.

maggie fellow said...

i love the framing and they are so cute together

Jennifer said...

your quilt is beautiful! I love how the blocks float randomly- it add an interest to the quilt, and makes it unique!

Mari said...

This turned out to be such a cute quilt! Congratulations on getting it all together. How about Painted Paws as a name?

Ariane said...

I love your 9 patch blocks. Your bear paw quilt top looks wonderful!!!

PaulaB quilts said...

They look terrific. How about Paws in the Paint Poat? Whatever, they are the prettiest bear paws ever!

Katie said...

I love the quilt! Seeing all the rainbow scrap projects is making me itch to make more myself and your quilt is making it worse! No name ideas, though...

Kathy's A Quilter said...

I love the layout for these "Yummy Gummy Bears". Well done!!

Deb A said...

Very nice quilt.. sorry no help on a name.

Cathy said...

I like how you bordered those blocks. I'll have to remember that.
Lovely quilt. I'm not good at naming quilts - Bears Gone Wild?

Kathy S. said...

The bear paws look great! Glad you are part of the RSC!

Angie said...

Great looking blocks! The black & white paws and the black frames really make everything pop.

Kaja said...

I liked these blocks already but the way you have put them together has really added to their impact. It sounds like a bit of a headache working it all out, but it was definitely worth it.

Chantal said...

I love these blocks since the beginning and the dark frames only make them more beautiful to me. I think a random setting wouldn't had been as nice. Awesome job, Marly! For a name, what comes to mind is something along the lines of "Rainbow Paws Prints", "Walking with the Rainbow Bear", "Trail of the Rainbow Bear", "Bear Treading the Rainbow". Okay, I'll stop now and let you enjoy the dithering. ;^)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I like your top - Star Burst? It is very color ful!

the girlfriend gap said...

This is beautiful. I've got flowers on the brain because spring is on the way. To me it says Mountain bear in the meadow of wild flowers. I do like the thought of gummy bears too. It has a playful touch with all the colors. Thanks for the inspiration. Janita

Mystic Quilter said...

What a wonderful sight all your Bear Paw blocks surrounding by the black, they really stand out. Inspired choice.

ES said...

This quilt glows! I love it!!

Lynette said...

Those are the prettiest bear paws!!