Thursday 17 April 2014

Triangle quilt along: top finished.



 This week has been a race against the clock. Finally I can report the piecing is finished. 



I positioned the triangles randomly. I did however make piles of one of each fabric and first place them on the design wall and swap them around a bit until I was satisfied. I was terrified of getting to the last row with a handful of identical triangles. So i guess that's controlled random!



rows pinned together:
not through the join, but close either side.
I have learnt a lot this week, but there is just one thing I'd like to share: 

  • When joining the rows I put a pin through the points, as  Paula at the Sassy Quilter suggested. 
  • Then I put a pin about 1/2" each side where there are fewer layers of fabric, and removed the first pin. 
I'd never pinned this way before, but found when I started joining the rows that the fabric was bunching up on the pin and distorting. This way the join stayed flat and was easier to lead under the foot.

This was a tip I saw last year in a McCall's video in the Sand and Surf project; sorry I don't remember which lesson! I had forgotten all about it, but it came in handy this afternoon.


I'm linking up to Paula at the Sassy Quilter for 

Happy sewing

Marly.



10 comments:

Vireya said...

It looks as good as I imagined it would!

I don't usually do much pinning, but that sounds like a good tip.

Lisa J. said...

Congratulations on finishing your top. It looks awesome....thanks for the pinning tip. I'm struggling with matching up some points now so this could come in handy.

Marly said...

Good luck with your points. I hope this helps. In the McCall's video it was much clearer, so I'd advise watching that.

Ella and Nesta said...

Thank you for this tip, I haven't joined my lines yet and I was worrying about this! You quilt is so beautiful, these are so my favourite colours!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I love the colors you chose.

Paula said...

I did a very similar thing. I put a clip (I love my clover wonder clips) at the intersection to hold it in place while I put the two pins on either side. I'm happy to say that I think about 90-95% of my points lined up perfectly. Your colors are beautiful. Makes me want to go to a tropical isle somewhere.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Marly....I LOVE IT!!! I pinned the rows too....was an easy way to make sure things were "nested".

Judy@Quilt Paradigm said...

Marly, it is FANTASTIC! Love the colors! Beautifully done!!

Emily Carnes said...

Thanks for the tip, this top is gorgeous!!

Heather @ Quilts Actually said...

This is the happiest quilt! I love the colors you chose, just beautiful.