Saturday 1 February 2014

Fresh Sewing Day - January Quilting Review

I've worked on 4 projects:

  1. Celtic Solstice
  2. Rainbow Scrap Challenge
  3. Emma
  4. Welterusten Tristan (Good-night Tristan)

Celtic Solstice, the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt has had the most hours put into it. Needless to say I haven't counted how many, but a lot. It's nowhere near finished and at present looks like this: 











48 of the 49 blocks. But still a long way to go.


Rainbow Scrap Challenge, hosted by Angela at Soscrappy, had blue as the theme in January, and this is my blue collection.



February's colour is pink.







Emma, is a appliqué medallion quilt-along designed by Evy Verbeek and published in the Dutch quilting magazine, Quilt en Zo. The quilt along is now finished, but the stages were presented every two months for a year. 


I have two more of these star patches to make for the last border but one, making a total of 36 stars for this border. I should get this border attached to the centre this month. The motifs of the last border involve less sewing than this one. I shall be quilting this by hand, so heaven knows when I'll finish. It doesn't matter, this is my slow project for evenings listening to the TV.


Welterusten Tristan (Good-night Tristan), for my 7-year-old grandson Tristan is from the book "Strip-Pieced Quilts" by Maaike Baker. No pictures yet; it's a surprise. In January I hand quilted the stars, but the night sky will be free motion quilted. I haven't made up my mind yet which design to use for the background, but there will be stars in the border.


I'm linking up now to Lily's quilts for the Fresh Sewing Day and Small Blog Meet, so hop over to Lily's blog to see what others have done in January.


Happy sewing
Marly.

8 comments:

Made by Mrs Jones x said...

I love the Emma quilt!

Colby said...

Your celtic solstice is looking great! I think I might have to make that one.

Conni said...

love the rainbow scrap challenge, I am so in love with sampler block quilts!!

Blue Moth said...

Your blue colours are just gorgeous.

Peg said...

Love all your quilts the colours are so pretty. Popping in from lily quilts to say hello.

Peg x

Marly said...

Thank you. It's my first attempt at appliqué and I've learnt an enormous amount.

Vireya said...

You have been so busy! I think your celtic solstice blocks look beautiful.

I have a friend who is making a "year quilt" like your Emma stars - the hexagon in the middle is for what she did on Sunday, then each point represents one day, and there is a star for each week of the year.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

All of your projects look wonderful! I have had so much fun following along with Celtic Solstice... maybe one of these years I'll try one. I have printed out the instructions as I really like the blocks.